Saturday, June 30, 2007

Green Blogging


I'm very excited to expand my experiences into the realm of blogging! So, belated as it is...

Welcome to Sustainabuild! The ongoing saga of my attempt to promote sustainable construction in Northeast Florida.

As the marketing and communications coordinator for a general contractor in Jacksonville, it's my responsibility and pleasure to get the 'good word' out about the benefits of green building.

I specifically like to concentrate on sharing success stories with small business owners. Explaining to them that sustainable solutions are available to them... not just huge conglomerates with seemingly unlimited funds.

We work on a budget. You do, too. We respect that. So your construction solutions are going to reflect that.

The great thing about LEED standards and green building is that it lends itself well to life-cycle savings and good indoor environmental quality. Small business owners spend a great deal of time in their facility, so that space should be healthy and energy-efficient. Makes sense, eh?

Despite the recent surveys and statistics on cost and desire, we're still not hearing from clients wishing to pursue green building.

Is it because there's still a perception that it's going to cost a fortune? Is it because there's a perception that the LEED process takes too long?

I'd love your opinion. Let's figure out what's the issue.

8 comments:

Rock Solid Design said...

Looks great! I am very excited to learn more about Building Green. I just poured my slab for my building and am waiting for the steel. How can I know what to do next? I feel a little lost on direction. Any suggestions?

Ellen Leroy Reed, LEED AP BD+C said...

Congratulations on the new building! That must be an exciting part of the new business. Can't wait to hear about it.

Did your architect include any sustainable concepts? Very often, your designer will consider green building into the designs because so many of them are 'common sense' decisions to them. You may want to speak with your architect and see if he/she has considered sustainability in the designs.

Give me a call and we can discuss it!

Unknown said...

Way to go Ellen-- thanks for the link (to www.buildinggreentv.com), and ever moreso, thanks to you and your firm for getting behind green building!

candace tschirki said...

Imaging Technologies, a division of American Reprographic Company is launching "Green Plan", the first step toward making our company, and our industry, as sustainable and environmentally forward-thinking as possible. Our intention is to set the standard by which all other companies in our industry will be judged.

As reprographers, we are highly sensitive to our role as consumers of paper products and the resources to deliver them. We are also sensitive to the needs of our customers, and the necessity for accurate, timely, and reproducable documentation to keep construction-the world's largest industry- up and running.
Balancing the equation of environmental responsibility, corporate stewardship and customer service poses a serious challenge, but it is one we have embraced whole-heartedly.

Ellen Leroy Reed, LEED AP BD+C said...

Hi Max,

I find more amazing ideas on Building Green TV... I highly recommend it to anyone interested in sustainability.

Look forward to hearing more from you!

Ellen

Ellen Leroy Reed, LEED AP BD+C said...

Hi Candace,

Thanks for sharing that information with us. I am SO thrilled to know Imaging Tech is leading the way in the reprographic industry.

We look forward to continuing with work with Imaging Tech and spreading the good word about all that you do.

Ellen

Kevin Shea said...

Ellen:

This is a great site & I know it will catch on. Passionate about building green, I want to extend an opportunity to share my experiences with CxAing and the Civil/site/LA component of LEED certification. Also - I've got a LEED NC Exam review program I wrote for our staff (all who've taken the review course have passed the exam - though no guarantees offered!!!). I'll share it for free to those interested - as long as I have the time to grade the sample questions...

Ellen Leroy Reed, LEED AP BD+C said...

Hi Kevin,

I can't say enough about your company is your dedication to sustainability! Avid Group is another organization that walks the walk, doesn't just talk a lot of talk.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer for the LEED study guide. I'm eager to sit for the exam and need all the help I can get.

Cheers to green building!