Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Green Overload

I read the following Editor's Note today in ED+C Magazine (Environmental Design + Construction) and was so relieved to see Michelle Hucal, editor of the magazine, voicing the concerns that so many of us in the sustainable design and construction industry struggle with every day.

How do we look ourselves in the mirror every day, doing what we do, and then purchase a bag of Funions?

In other words, we embrace sustainability; we recycle, reduce, and reuse; we shop local; we eat organic; we encourage fair trade. We live the lifestyle we teach. But, sometimes.... just sometimes.... we buy the irresponsible product. Oh, the guilt.

Here's some wonderful insight from a woman, as she says, "with an extensive social network of green-minded professionals" that still buys artificial snack foods because they taste so good. Thanks, Michelle, for reminding us that we're all still human and doing the best we can:

We’re all consumers. And while ED+C doesn’t target the mainstream consumer, we’re happy to see that the environmental industry is progressing rapidly into the mainstream. Green building has started — though only slightly — to penetrate the entire consumer market. More and more people are being encouraged, or even coerced, to go green because of environmental concerns. And, many consumers have chosen to do the right thing for the right reasons.

But I worry about information overload. And greenwashing. It’s a good thing that consumers are being targeted by the mainstream media. (I’m excited to catch the first episode of the new Planet Green from Discovery, a 24-hour eco-lifestyle television network.) And, I look forward to reading some the green magazines on my nightstand, like Green Guide from National Geographic.

But when I view this information, even I have questions. I wonder what the average consumer must think. How do they determine the best avenues for truly going green? For example, I have switched to mostly compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs), but was freaked out as a parent when my local news station broadcasted a scare about toxic mercury exposure should one break. And though I buy organic groceries as much as possible, I can’t help but sometimes choose on-sale and great-tasting artificial snack foods.

Sometimes it’s knowledge, other times it is convenience (i.e., availability and cost) that persuades me to purchase the environmentally friendly choice. I also have to constantly weigh my options, do more research and ask questions. And as the editor of ED+C with an extensive social network of green-minded professionals, I have the opportunity to ask experts. But it often comes down to a personal decision. For example, should I install certified carpet in my dining room, or a hard-surface floor? And if I select hard surface, do I choose a certified wood, linoleum or cork?

I will likely base my decision on comfort and practicality (including durability and maintenance), aesthetics (of course it has to look good!), cost, and “greenness,” probably in that order. Fortunately for all of us, many green products fall into the conventional product price category. I can find certified products at my local home improvement stores because many of the products that are often considered traditional — like hardwoods — are attractive, and affordable and green.

This growing demand for green products on the shelves of big box retailers and home improvement stores, in grocery stores, and on the Internet, has resulted in greater availability at less cost. Manufacturers are seeking to capitalize on the market, which increases variety and drives down prices.

However, we still have a long way to go toward fully educating the public. A recent study reported that “when it comes to making their homes green, consumers are paralyzing themselves to inaction based on overwhelming notions of what is required and what it costs,” according to Eco Pulse, a national study produced by Shelton Group.

Today, I encourage you to spread the good green word among consumers. Do your homework. Weed out the greenwash. Share your knowledge! Inspire others to go green through documented experiences, personally and professionally. Tell your neighbors, your family, your friends and your coworkers why and HOW to go green. Share this information with me, too, so I can pass it along to our readers, at hucalm@bnpmedia.

Until next time,
Michelle

No comments: